The Happy Cafe returns to Solent!
Solent Happy Café has happened twice now – it’s a monthly event which focuses on helping students to relax, take time out of their day to de-stress and just remember to look after themselves. The idea comes from the Action For Happiness, who describe the idea as “simple and inspiring: a friendly and welcoming place to meet other people with a shared interest in promoting happiness and wellbeing”.
The Solent Happy Café was created as a joint project between myself (VP Welfare & Community, Solent Students’ Union) and Solent Health. It’s every month, and the activities change each month but here’s a sample of some of what happens at the event:
* Listen to a relaxation or mindfulness podcast
* Watch an inspirational short video
* Speak to a Well Bee and find out what support they can access
* Get a neck and shoulder massage
* Join a guided mindfulness session led by Solent Health’s very own teacher
* Do some mindful colouring
* Write inspiring post-it pledges for a Happiness Wall
* Carry out an act of kindness
* Join in a discussion on giving and doing things for others
Mark Williamson, director of Action for Happiness, said: “The Happy Café concept is fantastic, as it creates a hub where people can connect and share inspiration together. These local connections hold the key to happier lives and a happier society”. We see Solent as a community, where everyone can help to make others lives better. We want to bring students and staff together with this event, acknowledging that it’s not only students who are under pressure and may also feel the benefit of such an event.
If you want to come along, keep an eye on my Twitter for updates on the next event which is on the 20th March!
By Hanna Head